When it comes to men’s fashion, there are a lot of trends that come and go. However, one style that has stood the test of time is the vintage look. There’s something about the classic, timeless aesthetic that never goes out of style. And one element of vintage fashion that has recently made a comeback is the bretelle.
What Are Bretelles?
Bretelles, also known as suspenders, are straps that are worn over the shoulders to hold up trousers. They were popularized in the early 1900s as a practical alternative to belts. However, in the 1920s and 1930s, bretelles became a fashion statement, with men wearing them as an accessory rather than just a functional item.
The Vintage Look
The vintage look is all about channeling the style of past eras. This can include anything from tweed jackets to wingtip shoes. One element of the vintage look that is particularly popular right now is the use of bretelles. By incorporating suspenders into your outfit, you can add a touch of old-school charm to your look.
How to Wear Bretelles
Wearing bretelles is all about balance. You want to make sure that they complement your outfit without overwhelming it. Here are some tips for wearing bretelles:
- Choose the right color – Bretelles come in a variety of colors, so choose one that complements your outfit. If you’re wearing a dark suit, for example, black or navy bretelles would work well.
- Match your shoes – Your bretelles should match your shoes in terms of color and style. If you’re wearing brown wingtips, for example, brown leather bretelles would be a good choice.
- Keep it simple – Bretelles are a statement piece, so you don’t want to overdo it with other accessories. Keep the rest of your outfit simple and understated.
Where to Buy Bretelles
If you’re looking to add bretelles to your wardrobe, there are a few places you can look:
- Vintage shops – If you’re going for the full vintage look, check out your local vintage shops. You might be able to find a pair of authentic bretelles from the 1920s.
- Online retailers – There are a number of online retailers that specialize in vintage-inspired clothing and accessories. Check out places like Etsy or ASOS for a wide selection of bretelles.
- Tailors – If you’re having a suit made or tailored, ask your tailor if they can add bretelle buttons to your trousers. This will allow you to wear bretelles without having to clip them onto your waistband.
The Bottom Line
Bretelles are a classic accessory that can add a touch of vintage charm to any outfit. By following these tips, you can incorporate bretelles into your wardrobe in a way that feels stylish and effortless. So why not give them a try?
Originally posted 2022-08-05 07:31:00.